DESPINA MIROU:a genius actress nominated for an Oscar with RIDLEY SCOTT

 

DESPINA MIROU the talented actress, and hilarious Stand up Comedian, is on the road for her  Oscar together with Sir.Ridley Scott! Just a few days after the  premiere  of  the  new Ridley Scott  film "Life in a Day" at Sundance Film Festival, Despina Mirou and her co-stars were celebrated for the film’s huge premiere at Robert Redford Festival. She is co-direct, and plays as an actress in the film. Best reviews from all over the world like Variety,Vanity Fair,Vogue,New York Times, The Guardian, L/A.Times, Independent, The Washington Post, TV channels like CNN,BBC,NBC, and many more globally wrote very good articles about it. The beautiful actress has picked the right career! Now all the world knows her and loves her! When making the move to America, Despina left an extremely successful career in Greece, and she was going to have to start all over again on her quest to join the ranks of Hollywood. She didn’t even speak English, she didn’t know anyone, but she credits her success to her ability to believe in herself, work hard,doing an amazing career in Stand Up Comedy,play on HBO " Show me a hero",on NETFLIX "On my Block", on MTV, on Lifetime channel e.t.c. Same time she started her career in American films with the legendary Peter Bogdanovich,and only for 2021 she had ready 9 future films,drama and comedy both. Between them she plays near Catherine Deneuve, Eddie Izzard, John Gleeze, Faye Dunaway, Michael Madsen, Daryl Hannah and many more. She received 5 more awards in 2020, and in 2021 another four,so she have right now 18 awards!!!Few of them are  "Best Stand Up Comedian Award", "Script-writer for future drama film Award", "Best actress in Drama film", "Audience Favorite Comedy actress Award", "Woman of the year 2020", "Astronomy Honoring Award" and many more in different categories. In 2020 her portrayal of Sophia Loren won over the casting team, and in another British film where she plays Elizabeth Taylor she is nominated for many acting awards in 2021! Despite being tipped as Hollywood’s next big star, you get the feeling Despina is still so workaholic and passionate, like she is starting her career now! Her publicity is endless and ongoing, and I am very attracted to seeing her excited and successful life!

Q:Ms.Mirou, you are on the road for your Oscar together with legendary Ridley Scott and Kevin MacDonald!!What a great collaboration!Tell us more about your new film with Ridley Scott!!!

Despina:It was a dream come true, of working with such a legend. I was enjoying it, and at the same time I feel a huge honor! I was thrilled to announce on 25 January 2021 that Ridley Scott chose me, and I am participating in his new film,in my first directing debut! Also, I play as an actress! They chose my footage (that I performed too) between thousands of videos that people sent to them from all around the worldI! Scott and Macdonald  got 424,000 videos from 196 countries. We were only some winners. I spent 24 hours to shoot the lines they sent to me, and I sent 45 videos that I played of their lines as Despina, and after I impersonated them like Marilyn Monroe,Lucille Ball,Ozzy ,Lady Gaga, Elton John, Johnny Depp, Kim Kardashian, Freddie Mercury and more. On 31 January we had a zoom meeting just for cast and crew and I have the opportunity to meet them and talk afterwards. I cried from happiness!! The film seeks to be a time capsule mosaic during a pandemic distress. Our Premiere was at the "Sundance film Festival" on 2st February 2021!! I am so incredibly excited to have some of my footage selected, and included in this EPIC film 'Life in a day", directed by Kevin MacDonald ,another Oscar-winner with  "The last king of Scotland". Our film hits the festival, and we get great reviews!! What a gift!!A huge  thank you all so much, cast ,crew, and the amazing Robert Redford for his amazing Festival. LG broadcast the trailer from our new film with Ridley Scott, in New York's iconic "Times Square " huge billboard ,  starting from 8 February!

I am so happy to have been part of such a great project! The film will travel in many great Film festivals in 2021, like BAFTA, Oscars e.t.c. Also the film received best reviews from American Tv channels like CBS, NBC, CNN, BBC and establish magazines & newspapers like Variety,Vanity Fair, Vogue, The New York Times, The Guardian, The LA times,  Deadline, The telegraph, Τhe Hollywood reporter, Vulture, Entertainment e.t.c.


Q:Ms.Mirou even though in the pandemic year, you played in cinema two of the most iconic Hollywood stars:Elizabeth Taylor and Sophia Loren!!How do you feel about this?


Despina:Some producers saw some takes of mine as Liz Taylor in the Pinewoods Studio, in London and they were very interesting  for me. One email came from the casting director Suzanne Kendal , who invited me to play one of the most recognizable figures in history: Sophia Loren. She sent me the script, and the famous song ,and all is based on Sophia's Loren film 'The Boy on a Dolphin. I sent my tapes and she was very enthusiastic ,I remember she wrote back to me "Desina you have gone above and beyond! And your talent and ability to play Sophia Loren shine through brightly".  I work a lot up to her Italian American accent, to her makeup details, and her mediteranean temperament. The cast and crew arrived in Hydra in September 2020,in Greece, and we started shooting for 2 months. It was so wonderful. I felt such an honor to play Sophia, she is a living Legend. This film brings me nostalgia from the 60s, and I felt so lucky that during the pandemic I was playing such an iconic character. The "Pinewood studio" from London, the "Palm Tree Production" from Scothland and the Irish "Olyplia" were the producers of the film.


Q
:Give us some info for your film British "Affairs on Capri" that you portrayed the one and only Elizabeth Taylor!!


Despina: The director Paul Wiffen discovered me in Comedy Club London in 2019 , when I went to do a Stand up show. He approached me after my show,  and told me that he was looking for a Liz Taylor character.Then I started to talk to him  and behave like Liz Taylor immediately. He was impressed, and asked me to send tape to the casting director.I went back to my hotel and I did it the same night. Few days laters the casting director  emailed me that they wanted me.I was incredibly happy! The film shows her passionate affair with Burton. My preparation for the role of Elizabeth Taylor  has been meticulous, and I reels off facts about her. It was very intense, because I admire her as an actress. I was working with a dialect coach for months, and studying Liz's many letters, memoirs, and details about her affair with Richard Burton. There was so much information, I’ve never had to prepare for something so specific, play someone so well-known, and one of the most photographed people in the world. I looked through all the biographies, books, her films, and of course I had to work on her voice. It was a lot of work. Although I played her already in comedy clubs in LA, I was already prepared on some level. But I am a perfectionist.


Q:
Which one was most like you Sophia Loren, or Elizabeth Taylor, and how do you feel about each of the characters?
 

Despina:I have the discipline of Sophia Loren, and the curvy Medietarean body. I have the passion, and strong attitude of Taylor. I am a fighter like her. I am more near to Taylor as a personality. She took risks. Sophia was more cool, and a family woman. Liz lived passionately. I felt huge excitement to play them, I felt a big honor, and at the same time a big responsibility to play them as they deserve:Originale,authentic, and respectful.








Q:You show up in big American channels like HBONETFLIX, AMAZONMTV,do you have plans to be on TV this year again? 

Despina:I wish too.I made many films last year,and I miss TV. A good comedy series will fit me well. I have some invitations for a new series that I'm thinking about.


 

 

 

 

 

 

Q:Are you going to do more concerts with legedary PINK FLOYD after the pandemic is over?You have a contract with them.
 

Despina:Once the virus calms down, I have the honor to continue my collaboration with the members of the legendary band Pink Floyd doing new concerts, and other big musicians who will show up as guests. My contract ends in 2023. I wish to start soon, I miss this great feeling being on stage with them, and enjoy so much the incredible music of them. Plus the special leiser  and the hall atmosphere of this unique music band, was something magic, in my career and my life both.

 

Q:You are a master in comedy impersonations!! Really outstanding performances, and you won two Best Stand-Up Comedian awards.You are truly a chameleon.How many people are you impersonating till now, and who?


Despina:Comedy impersonations are my obsession!!! I feel such a pleasure every time I catch one new face! Till now, I have impersonated 26 famous people. My comic~ faces impersonations include:Lucile Ball, Al Pacino, Melania Trump, Nancy Pelosi, Joan Crawford, Sofia Vergara, Ozzy Osbourne, Judge Judy, Kim Kardashian, Lady Gaga, Johnny Depp, Eminem, Bruno Mars, Penelope Cruz, Ariana Huffington, Cardi B , Marilyn Monroe, Liz Taylor, David Bowie, Fredy Mercury, Jack
Sparrow, Elton John, Sophia Loren,  katy Perry
, Lindsay Lohan, Ivana Trump, Frank Zappa, Bette Davis, Za Za Gabor, and many more.I was very lucky to start my cinema career with an accomplished director like Peter Bogdanovich! I feel very blessed to start with him in the film The Cat’s Meow. He is a unique director, he is doing amazing impersonations of Bette Davis, and his
knowledge led me to achieve great performance! He was my inspiration to do impersonations of Bette Davis and Joan Crawford when I saw him one night at the Santa Barbara film festival doing an amazing impersonation of them! 

 

Q:Ms.Mirou how was your experience working alongside Faye Dunawayz in 2020?                                                                                                         Despina:I was honored to work with Faye Dunaway in the drama action film American Connection. It was an unbelievable collaboration, and I feel very lucky. She is a living legend, and very generous on set, and she is a very attractive woman. When I wasn’t acting, I carefully watched her performance and learned a lot. I play a spy-nun and she plays a strong agent.



 

Q:Ms.Mirou your new comedy film Tango Shalom is already out in Festivals,and going great!! Tell us more about it!                                                                               


Despina
The maker of "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" is our producer too. I was playing the Hasidic Suzanne Sulsman & my best friend played by Joan Baron! We are a  gossip couple! The "Tango Shalom" directed by Gabe Bologna, written by great actor/screenwriter Joseph Bologna! The cast include  Lainie Kazan, Renée Taylor, Claudio Laniado, Jos Laniado,Corina Smirnof, Hamza Zaman, & so many other fabulous actors! When I worked with Laine Kazan, and Renee Taylor for this comedy film Tango Shalom, I had a great time on set.
We shared a lot of laughter during filming. I am truly thankful; I learned a lot of new things about comedy. Renee and Laine play their roles so masterfully! Renee gave me valuable advice about life, and very often, I asked her opinion about things in my life. I 'm excited to announce that we just won the CRITICS CHOICE AWARD 2021 in "Jaipur film Festival" in India! It Was nominated for Best film in "San Diego Jewish Festival" in California,the same nomination in "Charlotte Jewish Festival " Miami.Yesterday we won "Best film Award" in "Montreal Film Festival", Canada. 


 


Q.In your new Canadian comedy film "The Light Touch '' clearly you're comedy rhythm and performing for the policewoman Gina stole the show!Also,the film received some awards too!                                           

Despina:In this film I play a crazy-goofy policewoman Gina alongside the British actor Duncan Skinner and American actress Antonia Bogdanovich. The project tends to be in the vain of the original “Pink Panther''. So she is a goofy character, and I enjoy playing her because I improved a lot !Also, I did a lot of physical comedy which is my favorite! The film in September 2020 received the “Best Future Comedy Film award" in Sweden film Festival,in Europe. After winning one award as "Best Comedy film" ,in Chicago film festival. It Was nominated as "Best future film" in Malta Film Festival,in Italy. This week in "Rome film festival" won "Best Directing". Also, I am a nominee for “Best Actress Award” with the policewoman character in the "Maverick film festival". If they don't give me the award, I will arrest the jury(as a policewoman)!!! Hahahaaa!




Q:Ms. Mirou just a few years in the USA, and you establish an amazing career! What is your secret?

Despina:The years I studied in drama school and my masterclass with Al Pacino were incredibly important in my formation as an actress. They were critical in showing me how much important discipline is in this profession. Discipline and hard preparation are my "public" secrets.







Q: Despina you are unique in more ways than I care to count.What is your goal ?


DESPINA:Right now I want to try as many different roles as I can. I like to transform myself for a character. I am an actor's studio method actor. I want to do everything. Also,I still feel I haven’t done a lot of the things I want to do. Like to direct my first film, and to soon publish my Astronomy book, for which I wrote 350 pages.





Q
.Ms. Mirou, seems like you have been working on close to 11 films in 2020 to be released in 2021. Can you talk about each of their stories to get some insight into what roles you are playing in each?

Despina:In 2020 I played in  the comedy film "The Light Touch" where I play the guffy policewoman Gina. I participated in the comedy film “The Proposal “,my character is a funny immigrant. In 2020 I finished another action drama film “The American Connection", starring the living legend Faye Dunaway,and I played near other actors like Daryl Hannah,Michael Madsen. It was a great experience to have played near this amazing cast. I play the nun-Spy ,one of the most exciting characters I have played in action films till now! In 2020 I had ready 7 films. One more drama film "Still here", recently I finished the comedy film 'Tango Shalom" that I play the Hasidic Jewish Suzanne Susman,a very consernative, but very gossipy girl too. Also, in summer of 2020 I  finished the biographical film "Affairs on Capri”, where I  played the role of iconic Elizabeth Taylor. In fall of 2020 I  played the iconic actress Sophia Loren in another British film "So long Marianne" produced by Pinewoods studio of London.For 2021 I just start shoot for Eric Rivas drama film "The Duke of New York,in New Ghost City" where I play Dolomita Zayas, an eccentric film producer, next to Michael Musto, and Angel Salazar (known from his film Scarface,Carlito's way).I will start shoot for the film "Damn'er" in Texas,a western,for the drama film "Cleightchaltug " I will play a female war-soldier together with the Chinese star Bai Ling,the comedy film "God Bless you Al Pacino”,and the comedy film "The Theory of the beauty",a drama film in france "Hotel Du cap" I will portrait an Italian Legend . 

 




  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The planned destruction of the system of things.

Interview Lisa Kate

Lists to help writers, thinkers, and doers