Interview with Michael Joy

 


 
Michael Joy, thank you for the interview. A brief bio for people to get to know who you are.
BIO:
My name is Michael Joy and I am an entrepreneur who is focused on every facet of the film industry.  I have direct experience with film distribution through my sales & marketing position at Artsploitation Films.  I work hand & hand with independent filmmakers to help them find their audience through my own company, Marketing Macabre.  I also work on the other side of the PR landscape managing the popular horror website, Horrornews.net.  I have tapped into the podcast world through my relationship with Totally Driven Entertainment.  I've also worked in front of the camera on several occasions doing background extra work.  

contact email: joyhorror@msn.com

IMDb: Michael Joy



What got you into this business? Meaning first why movies? And then specifically horror and give more details on anything horror related please.

If you love the business enough, the business will come to you.   I've always loved cinema from a very young age.  A lot of kids grow up following sports like football and baseball, but I was one of those kids mesmerized by movies.   I think the theatrical experience is the greatest form of escapism.  It transports you to another reality for a few hours and really opens up your mind.   

At the core of my love for movies is horror.   My earliest memories are almost all horror movies.  Frankenstein, The Wolfman, Dracula, King Kong, Godzilla, Creature from the Black Lagoon.   It's where it all started for me.   The next stage of my obsession came in the form of horror movies from the 1970's, which has to be the best decade ever for the horror genre.  Halloween, The Exorcist, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Jaws, Alien.  After being exposed to those films, there was no turning back. 

I've been a fan all my life but it was my work with Horrornews.net that really opened the flood gates and got me involved in the business.
  

 

What is Horrownew.net? 
And "HNN Presents" as the new distribution label what does that entail? 

I started writing for Horrornews.net in 2008 and quickly became the website's manager.   As the website grew and became one of the top horror websites in the world,  so did my foot print in the horror industry.  It was the bridge that I needed to meet all the horror professionals that I grew up idolizing.   The more work that I put into Horrornews.net, the more opportunities presented themselves to me.  

"HNN Presents" was created through a great relationship between Horrornews.net and Bayview Entertainment.  We believe in horror.  This is the genesis of a new era in how people consume entertainment and we are leading the charge to a revolution.  As we stand at the forefront of the film industries rebirth, it’s our mission to establish the horror genre as the epicenter of the “at home” video experience.  Our DVD releases include: Master Pieces, Me and the Devil, Psycho Therapy, Keeping, Rosy, Profondo, Fabula, and more to come.  

HNN Presents Promo Video: 

If you have a horror movie and you are in need of a sales rep or distributor, please contact me for a consultation.  contact: joyhorror@msn.com

So, I understand you are producing THE HOUSE IN THE PINES?  Who is in it?  What is it about? 

The world as we know it has changed, and with the film industry getting back to work, it’s not going to be business as usual. We stand at the forefront of a very different movie experience. The food chain has been disrupted, and independent filmmakers will be forging a new path for the industry to follow. Make no mistake about it; there is a changing of the guard, and filmmakers like Mario Cerrito are ready to open a lot of eyes in this new evolution. The timing is perfect for something completely strange and original. This is why I am stepping on-board. I believe this project will break new ground as we all walk into the unknown.

Mario Cerrito, John DiRenzo, and myself and producing THE HOUSE IN THE PINES under 4th Dimension Pictures.   We have just brought on board the directing team of Mick Strawn and Jeremy Brown, who previously worked together on Friday the 13th Vengeance.   We also have 9 time Grammy Award winning music producer, Joe "The Butcher" Nicolo, who is known for working with the biggest music acts on the planet, including Aerosmith, The Police, and D.J. Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince.  We will be announcing more details soon. 

Marketing Macabre, is your PR company. What does a PR company like yours do and who are the people that you are trying to reach? Meaning my readers are a bit unsure as to what your company does.

Marketing Macabre - a horror boutique public relations company created to give independent filmmakers an affordable alternative. We focus on the importance of press releases to gain momentum and we work with some of the biggest genre websites in the world. Our mission is to get your project in front of your audience, the horror public - the most devoted fan base in all of entertainment.  

If you would like the GUIDE OF MARKETING MACABRE for a list of publicity services, please contact me at joyhorror@msn.com  


 
Mr. Joy, the lockdown has everyone reading, writing, and watching movies. Can you provide a list of what you have been doing? Meaning I tend to find new books or movies from suggestions given and well seems like I might be stuck for another few months inside.

I'm constantly watching movies, either to assist with marketing and acquire for distribution.   I'm happy to have found SWEET TASTE OF SOULS a home with TriCoast Worldwide.    I'm doing some fantastic promotional work for Mario Cerrito's next project, HUMAN HIBACHI, which he will self-distribute.  Both of those movies will be available in the weeks ahead.   There is a short film from Jeff Payne that everyone should watch titled, IN DARKNESS I WAIT.  It's FREE on Youtube.  MY DEAD ONES from TMA Releasing is about to be released and that film is going to be a big deal.   If you want some holiday frights, Paul Tanter's new film, THE NIGHTS BEFORE CHRISTMAS should be on your naughty & nice list.  

When I'm not watching my clients' movies,  I'm binge watching Netflix programming, like Cobra Kai, Ozark, and Stranger Things.   I'm also a fan of the new professional wrestling league, ALL ELITE WRESTLING and everything that they are accomplishing.   It's a super creative product and a throwback to great wrestling of the 1980s.  

What is the movie that scared you the most?  

What personally scares me the most are those movies that deal with religion and the devil.   I think The Exorcist is the scariest movie of all time.    I'm also a huge fan of Rosemary's Baby and The Omen.   

The classic question: what charity do you work with? 

I recently adopted a dog.   Here name is Lucy and she's 4 years old.  I would urge everyone to support their local animal rescue and animal adoption agencies.  Remember, when you rescue an animal, that animal just might be rescuing you.    

In dreaming of the perfect project or movie or your dream movie, or role or who you would like to work with would be? Can you provide that dream?

I have a few dream projects and are close to becoming a reality.  I wrote the screenplay for DEAD AFTERLIFE with some excellent attachments that include Michael Berryman, Kane Hodder, Dee Wallace, and Bill Oberst Jr. 

DEAD AFTERLIFE synopsis:
Imagine watching your own funeral as a ghost and then the unthinkable happens, your undead body climbs out of your coffin and starts killing and eating your friends and family. Pharmaceutical Scientist, Donald Conlee faces this conundrum after he’s murdered and is administered his own “Awake”, super drug. His death was only the beginning of his problems. The Gatekeeper has given Donald a time limit to return his Zombie-self to the ground, or else his soul can never gain entrance into Heaven. To complicate matters, he finds out that his murderer is at the funeral and his girlfriend is in grave danger. How can a couple of disgruntle gravediggers and a hearse driver help Donald’s lost soul find the way? Or maybe the real question is how can the spirit world defeat the living dead?​

In another endeavor,  I've teamed with professional wrestling legend, "The Universal Hearthrob" Austin Idol to create a pro wrestling hybrid that has truly NEVER been done before.   I publicly can't say too much more about this particular project. 

These projects are currently in-development from Joyhorror Entertainment. 

Joyhorror Entertainment is a creative entity that specializes in the science fiction and horror genres, professional wrestling and pop culture. Our mission is to create and provide original content that intrigues the imagination and merges nostalgia with the future. We aim to break through the glass ceiling and redefine everything you thought you knew about entertainment, including but not limited to internet, radio, television and motion pictures.

I am currently looking for new partners on both projects.   contact: joyhorror@msn.com 

Mr.Joy, there is one story that you wish everyone knew. You know the one you want people to say ah yes. I remember him. What is that story?

It's the story of how Michael Joy changed the horror industry forever.   You might say it's a work in progress, but when it's all said and done, I hope that my contributions to the industry made a difference.  It's always been my goal to come in and shake things up and get people talking.   

What one question do you wish I had asked and well what is the answer?

Hmm, good non-question.  The one thing that I wanted to mention,  I'm currently managing the career of world-renowned martial artist, Paul Mormando.  He's a fine actor and is available for action of horror films.  For booking inquiries, please contact joyhorror@msn.com 


Believe in Horror,

Michael Joy 

IMDbLinkedIn | Facebook 

Marketing Macabre - President  

Horrornews.net - Operations Manager


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The planned destruction of the system of things.

Interview Lisa Kate

Lists to help writers, thinkers, and doers