Interview with Michael S. Rodriguez

 


 

Thank you for taking my interview Mr. Michael S. Rodriguez. For my reader or readers depending on the day a little background about you. Mr. Rodriguez is a award winning filmmaker/actor he wrote,produced & directed the hit indie horror anthology Last America Horror Show starring horror legend’s Felissa Rose (Sleepaway Camp),Lynn Lowry (George A. Romero’s The Crazies),Robert Mukes (Rob Zombie’s House Of 1000 Corpies) & Arch Hall Jr (The Sadist), and he Co-Produced the indie thriller Dead Voices starring Lochlyn Munro (Scary Movie).   

 What drew you into the entertainment industry?
 
We have to go back to the age of 8yrs old. My Grandparents who helped in my upbringing took me to Universal Studios for the very first time in my life and I was instantly infatuated with movies and the magic behind them. 
 



 
 
Most people have a story that they want their friends to know or people to know about them. What is that one story Harley, that you would say makes you . Well, you?
 
I've never let anything discourage me from realizing my dreams. I've had many setbacks, some financial and some tragic. Last year I lost both my grandparents, whom I've mentioned above and nearly my wife and two of our children in an auto accident. I took some time off to care for them while they healed, then returned with a vengeance wrapping a feature film that was put on hold and winning two directing awards for prior work. Each of those accomplishments were dedicated to my family's love and strength. 

                                           

 
Mr. Rodriguez please tell us about some of your current films? 
 
Growing up I was raised on Horror anthology shows like Twilight Zone, Night Gallery, Tales from the Dark Side, etc. In fact my first film(Last American Horror Show 2018) is a love letter to that subgenre. When the pandemic hit it put a huge damper on Productions everywhere, so of course after a while I got antsy to create something and Strange Files was born. I contacted a few colleagues of mine and with our collaborative efforts created a Horror TV Series. 
Each episode much like traditional horror anthology programs are different in storyline and style. It's a mixed bag where you may get mystery with one episode and dark comedy with the next. The series is currently streaming on a platform called AVAIL TV and we may look into a DVD release of season one in the near future. As of right now the show has garnered great reviews and season two is already in works. 


 
Amazon /Prime lead into these movies.
 
Amazon /Prime lead into these movies.
Three terrifying tales to keep you awake all night: Night of the Sea Monkey, Lamb Feed and Homewrecked - a trifecta of 80s throwback terror with mauling monsters, home invasions gone haywire and stomach-turning human sacrifice. Features a cast of horror icons like Felissa Rose (Sleepaway Camp), Lynn Lowry (The Crazies), Arch Hall Jr. (The Sadist) and Robert Allen Mukes (House of 1000 Corpses).
Amazon /Prime lead into these movies.
 
 
Tell us about your upcoming films,

As for Lake of Shadows and Last American Horror Show Vol 2. I am so excited to get these released and in theaters for Premieres and Film festivals. Both have some much talent involved and so many scares to deliver. 

 
Mr. Rodriguez, when you are reading a script. How many formal edits do you demand your scripts to have before going forward with a movie? Meaning first edits, professional edits, etc?
 
 
I do not have many formalities when it comes to scripts. If the structure of the story is there we can tell that story. If you ask most of the notable actors I've worked with, they'll say I've allowed them to take ownership in their roles in my Productions. Which means I give a lot of play for improve and method forms of Acting that usually goes off script.
 
 
 
So you have done a variety of films, both producing and acting. Which is the funniest for you?
 
Oh that would have to be my first short film Night of the Sea Monkey staring Lynn Lowry. I had so much fun writing that piece. So many memorable one liners and to work with a legend like Lynn was a dream come true.
 
Mr. Rodriguez, the lockdown has everyone reading, writing, and watching movies. Can you provide a list of what you have been doing? Meaning I tend to find new books or movies from suggestions given and well seems like I might be stuck for another few months inside.
 
 
I do plenty of gardening these days, but aside from that I am constantly working on Strange Files as the creator and producer of the show, writing scripts for future projects, developing a podcast series that will go live by the time this article is published and of course I squeeze in two episodes of Columbo every evening before bedtime. 
 
Mr. Rodriguez, the classic question: what charity do you work with? And can you provide links to it?
 
I work with the MCTD (Mixed Connective Tissue Disease) Foundation as there are many in our society from all walks of life that suffer from this incurable affliction. I myself was diagnosed with this progressive disease in 2016 and am hopeful for a cure some day. http://mctdfoundation.org/
 
 
In dreaming can you describe what your dream movie, or role or who you would like to work with would be?
 
The dream movie would be a classic spaghetti western with Eastwood in the saddle just one more time. I wouldn't allow it to be shot on anything but actual film and absolutely no CGI.
 
 
What one question do you wish I had asked and well what is the answer?
 
 
Where do you see yourself in 10yrs? Well, I'm just finishing my first 10 and it's been an interesting journey to say the very least. If I get 10 more years of making movies, then you will get 10 more enjoying them. Thank you for this Interview.
 
 
IMDb
 

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4860790/ 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The planned destruction of the system of things.

Interview Lisa Kate

Lists to help writers, thinkers, and doers